CMP Seeking Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Apr 12, 2017
The Program in Mathematics Education (PRIME) at Michigan State University is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate. This position will provide a qualified candidate with the opportunity to play a major role in two NSF-funded projects that seek to enhance student learning in middle schools using Connected Mathematics Project curriculum materials:
- Collaborative Research: Enhancing Middle Grades Students Capacity to Develop and Communicate Their Mathematical Understanding of Big Ideas Using Digital Inscriptional Resources.
- Promoting Productive Disciplinary Engagement and Learning with Open Problems and "Just-in-Time" Supports in Middle School Mathematics.
The postdoctoral research associate will work with the project team from Michigan State University (Elizabeth Phillips, Alden Edson, Kristen Bieda, and Joseph Krajcik) in collaboration with The Concord Consortium to develop and test a set of digital resources.
The research associate will:
- Assist with the design and development of research
- Assist with analysis of data and reports
- Assist with development of curriculum and assessment as needed for each project
- Assist with the devlopment and implementation of professional development
- Assist with writing of papers and presentations at national meetings
The research associate will have the opportunity to:
- Assist with other CMP research projects: Arc of Learning, The Role of Student Work, and Formative Assessment
- Assist with development of curriculum and assessment related to CMP
- Assist with the development and implementation of professional development related to CMP
- Work with other research, curriculum, and professional development projects associated with the Program in Mathematics Education (PRIME) at Michigan State University
- Collaborate with faculty, post-docs, and graduate students in Michigan State University’s Mathematics Education programs
The successful applicant will have a doctoral degree in mathematics education or a related field, as well as a background in mathematics education, design research, and/or mathematics curriculum development. Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in design research and the ability to work collaboratively with researchers and practitioners.
Applicants should electronically forward a cover letter, an updated CV, short papers describing their research interests, a statement of their teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information for three references who can speak to the above qualifications to:
Employment %: 100%
Salary Range: Negotiable based upon qualifications
Proposed Start Date: August 15, 2017
The initial appointment is for one year, but the position is renewable on an annual basis through June 1, 2020, based upon satisfactory performance and the availability of resources.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.