Walking to Win (First Class Period)
Use for CMP2, Problem 2.1 Walking to Win (Day 1 of the Lesson)
Use for CMP3, Problem 2.1 Henri and Emile's Race
This video illustrates the strategies the class uses to solve an open problem that is the first problem of four in this sequence. The summary on this day includes a suggestion from the class that the problem does not make sense. The teacher challenges them to make adjustments to the problem.
The focus is on what the students understand, where the students are in relation to the goals of this Investigation, and what the teacher can do to add mathematical value to the summary phase of the lesson.
The video concludes with the teacher reflecting on the lesson.
Real time is one class period or 55 minutes.
As you view the video, consider the following:
- What is the evidence of students’ understanding and reasoning? What prior understandings do you see students using or building upon?
- What is the evidence of students’ use of the mathematical practices from the Common Core State Standards? To what extent are students growing in their sophistication of their use of the practices?
- Were there any “aha moments” in the video?
- How is the teacher facilitating the development of students’ understanding and reasoning?
- As a teacher, how would you use the information from this lesson to plan the next lesson?