Walking to Win (Second Lesson)
For CMP2, Problem 2.1 Walking to Win (Day 2 of the Lesson)
For CMP3, Problem 2.1 Henri and Emile's Race
This video captures strategies for creating and soliving alternatives to Problem 2.1. This presents an opportunity to observe a teacher following up on a student suggestion by analyzing what students understand or do not understand, and assessing their mathematical development in terms of the goals of Investigation 2.
The video concludes with the teacher reflecting her planning and the decisions she made during the lesson.
Real time is 1.5 class periods.
As you view the video, consider the following:
- What is the evidence of students’ understanding and reasoning? What prior understandings do you see students using or building upon?
- What is the evidence of students’ use of the mathematical practices from the Common Core State Standards? To what extent are students growing in their sophistication of their use of the practices?
- Were there any “aha moments” in the video?
- How is the teacher facilitating the development of students’ understanding and reasoning?
- As a teacher, how would you use the information from this lesson to plan the next lesson?